Pastor Joseph J. Reine's two new books.


" Unlocking The Mysteries Of Prayer"

This short ebook could change your thinking about prayer, forever!


and

"SALVATION We Are Not Afraid!"

Catholicism Versus The Word Of God.

Traditions Of Men And What Saith The Lord.

Read first hand what your Bible says, you'll be

surprised to learn The Truth!

This book was written for thousands of people

to be liberated from ecclesiastical prisons.


http://www.amazon.com


Friday, February 1, 2008

Bible Questions Answered: Rock Of The Church

Bible Questions Answered:
According to Matthew 16:19
Is Peter and his successors the rock of the church?

Ralph W./ Edmonton Alberta, Canada

Bible Answer:
Oh how the enemy has used this verse to misconstrue the open truth of the scriptures!

Our Saviour was talking to His Apostles...
Matthew 16:13-19 NIV
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15"But what about you?" He asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
18 And I tell you that you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."


(We discuss here today, the Rock of the Church, in a later lesson, we will be discussing the "Keys of the Kingdom.")

Verse 18 (again) “And I tell you that you are Peter (Greek word here is Petros: A piece of rock) ,and on this rock (Greek word here is Petra: A mass of rock) I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”

Peter was, Petros: A piece of the rock (as are all Christians.)

The Rock, was, (Petra: A massive rock.) This is the Gibraltar, of Christian Faith, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Please if you have a concordance (and if you don't have one, be sure to purchase one,..e.g. Strongs, or Youngs.)...do a search under the word “Rock,” and see the many, many, references to the Lord Jesus Christ.....thousands of years before Peter was ever born!

Just a few examples:

Deuteronomy 32:3,4
[3] Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
[4] He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.

II Samuel 22:1-4
[1] And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul:
[2] And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
[3] The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
[4] I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

Psalm 28:1Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock;...”

etc., etc., etc.

Upon who or what then, did Jesus say the Christian Church was founded?
Surely not Peter, who made one mistake after another.
It would be founded upon Peter's confession...look at it again...

15"But what about you?" He asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

The Rock of the church is the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 1:12,13
12 But as many as received Him (the Lord Jesus Christ), to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name:
13 Which were born, not of blood (earthly nobility), nor of the will of the flesh (Consecration, Baptism, Confirmation, etc. etc), nor of the will of man, (Eclesiastical Decree) but of God.

Acts 4:10-12
[10] Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by Him doth this man stand here before you whole.
[
11] This is the stone (Petra: A massive rock.) which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
[
12] Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now please go to the section

Bible Lessons: Church, or Ecclesiastical Authority